He Said, She Said: Guide to Relationships

Every good relationship has two sides. The bad ones tend to have one side (i.e. YOU'RE right, THEY'RE wrong). This is a story of a young couple finding their way and keeping their voice(s) while exploring the joys and woes of dating, love and travel.

Google

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

He Said, She Said: Why the World Cup rules

He Says:

I have to admit – in spite of all my very best efforts, I am now a World Cup fanatic. I tried to resist. I really did. But after watching the opening round in South America with rabid soccer (er, futbol) fans, I am officially hooked.

I'm amazed that one sport can unite an entire world filled with so many different languages and cultures. In the case of Ivory Coast, warring African tribes agreed to a truce for the duration of the World Cup. Now that the Ivory Coast team has been eliminated, I’m guessing all bets are off. But hey – it was a novel idea while it lasted. In fact, I think we should take it a step further.

I propose that all international disputes be settled out on the soccer field for the whole world to see. Try this scenario: if North Korea insists on developing nuclear weapons, the United States could challenge them to a friendly game of “kick the ball in the net.” My guess is North Korea wouldn’t have a very good team... which would be good for American diplomacy.

The problem here, of course, is that most countries are not so gung ho on the good old “USofA” as of late and would probably line up to challenge the US for a number of reasons. And judging by the US squad’s sorry performance at this year’s World Cup, this new order of diplomacy would likely cause most American politicians to shake in their boots.

But at least it’d be fair. And I think that most of the world would be able to accept the results. Just a thought.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the World Cup. It's the world's currency of sport.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's over. I'm still not the biggest fan of the World Cup.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home